The Campion Jordan building opened to house senior students. It was designed as a Matriculation (Year 12) Centre, but it also housed classrooms for other levels, science laboratories and various staff facilities.
It was named after Sr Campion Jordan (Sr Deirdre Jordan), principal of St Aloysius from 1954 until 1968. This new building signalled the movement of the college centre of gravity from Angas to Wakefield Street.
On April 9th, the new building was opened. A copper sculpture of Christ was erected on the southern wall of the Wakefield Street building. The sculpture of ‘Christ, our Leader, our Protector, and our Friend’ was created by well-known sculptor Tom Bass and was donated by Mrs Lena Jordan, mother of Sr Deirdre Jordan.
The statue was moved to the Carmel Bourke Expressive Arts lift tower in 2009 when the new Year 12 Centre was added.
The Jordan Courtyard was used for whole school assemblies until 2003 when they were moved to the Tram Barn and then in 2008, to the Redden Centre Undercroft.
Ed.) 2000, Making space: women and education at St Aloysius College 1880-2000, St Aloysius College, Adelaide.(