Biology video tutorials
– from Khan Academy
– biology and life-science animations. From Bio-Alive
General biology : animated tutorials
– animations demonstrating a range of biology concepts. From Sumanas, Inc.
Online biology dictionary
– definitions of biology terms. From Biology Online
More Internet Resources
McGovern, J 2008, Blood cells, photograph, Flickr, accessed 25 April 2013, <http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonmcgovern/3069817485/>, Creative Commons license: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/deed.en>.
– topics: cell biology, microbiology, immunology, microscopy, interactives showing cell models, mitosis, meiosis, cell cycles and gallery of images. Created by Jim Sullivan
Cells and cell division
– videos: Diffusion and osmosis, Parts of a cell, Chromosomes, chromatids, chromatin, Mitosis and meiosis, Embryonic stem cells, Cancer. From Khan Academy
Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes & Viruses tutorial
– introduction to the kinds of cells that make up all living systems, and to contrast cells with viruses. From University of Arizona
Stem cell basics
– frequently asked questions from National Institutes of Health, U.S.
More Internet resources
Garabito 1992, Sedimento 41, photograph, Flickr, accessed 25 April 2013, <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ignacio_diez/3844556607/in/photostream/>, Creative Commons license: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en>.
General Genetics Links
– Topics: Genes and how they work, Mutations and disease, Genetic testing, Making medicines, New therapies, Ethics. From Tech Museum of Innovation
DNA from the beginning
– 75 experiments that made modern genetics. From Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
– check if you have these genetic traits. Created by Bill Kendrick
Genetics Fact Sheets
– fact sheets: Human genetics and patterns of inheritance, Genetic testing, screening and prevention, Genetic technologies and their implications, Genetic conditions caused by chromosomal changes, Genetic conditions where one or more genes may be contributing. From NSW Government
– DNA and gene basics, DNA to protein, Heredity and traits, Variation, selection and time, Build a DNA molecule. From University of Utah
– online exhibits including Zooming into DNA, What colour eyes will your children have, Genetically modified food. From Tech Museum of Innovation
Your genes your health
– information on a number of genetic disorders. From Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
– information and patient stories (video). From Thalassemia Foundation of Canada
United Kingdom Thalassaemia Society
– information on Thalassaemia and includes educational videos on the condition
Heredity and traits
– what is heredity I what is a trait I chromosomes: the vehicles of heredity. From University of Utah
– demonstrates the basic principles of meiosis, fertilization and inheritance using the same pea traits that Mendel studied. From BioLogica
Gino 2006, Secrets of life, photograph, Flickr, accessed 18 May 2013, <http://www.flickr.com/photos/gzahnd/109549102/>, Creative Commons license: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed.en>.